When shooting, it is important to be protected. You need the right eye protection, the appropriate clothing and, of course, ear protection. In order to guarantee you a safe shooting experience, we have come up with a list of some of the best ear protection for shooting.
Why Do We Need Ear Protection?
Before delving into the list of the best ear protection for shooting, it is important to recognize why it is needed.
On the shooting range you will typically find the environment loud and this volume can cause damage to anyone’s ears.
In order to prevent this damage, ear protection was introduced coming in a multiple of forms.
Below, we will be listing some of our most recommendable ear protection products to help get you started.
The Howard Leight Shooting Earmuff is one of the best ear protections to choose with active noise cancelling abilities, ideal for shooters.
Not only does it reduce wind noise whilst maintaining a clear sound but its design allows for a comfortable and efficient product. Choose from colors black, gray and orange.
- Good for glasses wearer – these headphones are great for glasses wearers as they sit efficiently over the head and do not cause any discomfort.
- Suitable in any weather – even if it is pouring with rain or windy, these earmuffs will mute these surrounding weather conditions.
- Quality – these earmuffs are of great quality; they are sturdy and allow ideal sound.
- Not suitable for indoor range – this is a choice for outdoor users.
- LIGHTNING-FAST ATTACK TIME: Digital compression circuitry offers a . 5 millisecond attack time (250X faster than the classic Impact Sport) to compress any noise that exceeds a safe 82 dB; NRR 22
- 5X SOUND AMPLIFICATION: Enhances low level frequencies like range commands, conversation with fellow shooters and animal noises; ideal for indoor & outdoor shooting, and hunting in the field
- RECESSED MICROPHONES: Reduces wind noise while providing clear, directional sound; allows the user to easily identify a sound’s origin which is a great benefit to hunters in the field
- SLIM DESIGN: Low profile ear cup with rifle cutaways for gun stock clearance allow use in any shooting environment; adjustable, padded headband for comfort; folds for easy storage; water-resistant
- INCLUDES: Belt clip, extra ear cup cushions, 2 AAA batteries, AUX input and 3. 5 mm connection cord for MP3s and scanners; 4-hour auto shut-off increases battery life (approx. 150 hours)
These earmuffs are great for hunters, particularly for those with small to medium heads. This is a product for you if you are looking for great quality sound cancelation and a product made to give results.
- Comfortable – this is a comfortable product with soft ear cushions.
- Appearance – this product is great to look at with a great matte finish.
- Secure – you do not have to worry about these muffs falling off; they are ensured to stay on secure and tight.
- Durability – these ear protectors are not as durable as other products (the matte finish is prone to scuffing)
- Protect Your Hearing - Walker'S Razor Ear Muffs Have An Ultra Low-Profile Design Featuring Extra Slim Ear Cups, For A Secure Fit; These Ear Muffs Protect Against Hazardous Noises, While Still Letting You Clearly Hear Everything Going On Around You
- Sound Amplification - Walker'S Razor Ear Muffs Amplify Safe Sounds Using Two Hi-Gain Microphones To Provide Clear Omni-Directional Hearing; The Low End Frequencies Are Enhanced To Produce Accurate, Natural Sound
- Rugged Design - These Muffs Feature A Rugged Design With A Rubberized Coating, Helping To Prevent Damage To The Interior Electronics; The Housing Is Made From A Sound Dampening Composite; The Headband Is A Padded Metal Wire Frame
- Easy-To-Use Controls - These Muffs Have A Volume Control Knob On The Outside That Is Slightly Recessed - A Perfect Balance Between Providing Easy-To-Use Controls, And Preventing Accidental Volume Adjustments; The Battery Door Also Opens From The Exterior
- Listen To Music - These Ear Muffs Also Have An Audio Input Jack, Allowing You To Plug In Your Phone Or Other Favorite Sound Source, Effectively Converting These Ear Muffs Into A Set Of Headphones With Hearing Protection
The Sordin Supreme PRO X are guaranteed to protect your ears. These come with four levels of sound amplification as well as two microphones in the earmuffs to recreate 3D audio.
Used by military personnel themselves, these ear protectors are made to give the best results.
- Design – these are designed with a great camouflage print.
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use – these ear protectors are ideal for any environment with a waterproof feature and great amplification quality.
- Clarity – when wearing these ear protectors you are gifted with an amazing attention to sound; you can hear much more than you can with the normal ear.
- Batteries – the batteries can be difficult to install.
- Sordin military hearing protectors have been updated with a new advanced natural sound reproduction system. They now feature improved noise amplification of their surroundings compared to previous MSA Sordin models.
- The PRO X from Sordin comes with 4 levels (1:4) levels of sound amplification. Integrated speakers in the head set amplify quiet sounds and reproduce surrounding noise crystal clear.
- The sound reduction rating of the headset is rated at SNR: 25dB, a mean value. This means that noise around you can be reduced by up to 25dB.
- Each microphone has been water proofed, making the earmuffs perfect for outdoor use in the woods or field. It can also be used indoors at shooting ranges or noisy workplaces.
- Two microphones in the ear muff recreate excellent 3D audio. You will not have to worry about losing your orientation in any noisy situation.
If you are looking for something small but with just as much power, the SureFire EP3 Sonic Earplugs are the choice for you. Instead of heavy earmuffs, earplugs are an ideal choice. They are efficient and just as effective.
- Comfortable – these provide a comfortable wear and are easy to put on.
- Versatile – with these earplugs you are able to wear alongside a mask, eye protection and other protection alike.
- Additional features – comes with a lanyard and plastic case.
- Fit – these plugs do not fit all ears.
- 24dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) with filter caps inserted, Hear safe sound levels (with filter caps out) as if you weren't wearing ear plugs
- Soft, adjustable, double-flanged stems provide secure seals in ear canals and all-day comfort
- Low-profile design allows you to keep them in place while wearing a mask, helmet, hat, or while using supplemental hearing muffs
- Patented EarLock retention rings utilize seven contact points to lock earpieces in place and fit the same way every time
- Made in USA from hypoallergenic, medical-grade polymer that's soft, durable, and long-lasting
When shooting with kids, you want to ensure they are protected. That is why these safety earmuffs were made. With these, you will be guaranteed your child will be safe and secure.
Choose from colors purple rain, black, highlander, neon green, pink rain and typhon – your kid will be sure to stand out.
- No risk of scratches – there are no metal components on the earmuffs meaning there is no risk of hurting your child.
- Good fit – these are made to fit a child’s head effectively.
- Durable – these are comfortable and made to last.
- Batteries – the batteries are not the ordinary AA or AAA – you need to go out of your way to get the suitable batteries.
- Rugged construction, Adjustable headband and super-sized ProForm leather ear cushions
- No metal parts to break and potentially scratch a young child or become a swallow hazard
- Suitable for a moderate noise environment, at the range, rock concert or race track
- Sport type: shooting
- Included components: ear muffs with batteries
This product provides the upmost hearing protection, made to suppress sound to a safe level. You will be sure to be comfortable with its foam tips, supplied in six different sizes to fit all. Choose from colors fde and black.
- Convenient – these buds come with small storage cases which double as a charger.
- Unique features – shut themselves off automatically after 4 hours of inactivity.
- Comfortable – the buds are made to be comfortable in the ear.
- Not suitable for indoor use – it is best to double up on ear protection when using indoors.
- SPECS: FDE - Experience high quality stereo sound while confidently protecting your hearing with 23 Decibels NRR (Noise Reduction Rating)
- COMFORTABLE: With 6 sizes of comfortable foam tips, you’ll find a custom fit for your ear to ensure proper noise cancellation and hearing protection
- EASE OF USE: Caldwell Shadows continuously suppress sound to a safe level without clipping. Easily connect to your mobile device with Bluetooth so you can seamlessly transition between listening to media and shooting
- FEATURES: Your E-MAX Shadows automatically shut off after 4 hours of inactivity, which is displayed on the illuminated on/off indicator
- CONVENIENT: The included case duals as a charger and storage compartment
Choose from colors pink, black, blue and yellow and be the center of attention at the shooting range.
Not only do these noise cancelling earmuffs provide your attire with a pop of color but they are guaranteed to be highly effective.
This is the perfect product for those of all ages, this fitting both adults and children alike.
- Additional features – these earmuffs also come with eye protection (2 glasses for indoor and outdoor use), ear plugs and a protective case.
- Soft padding – the earmuffs provided come with a soft padding allowing great comfort over eye gear.
- Sound blocker – this is effective at blocking sound.
- Glasses fog – the glasses given are prone to fogging up.
- 15,000+ SATISFIED SHOOTERS and counting! Join the TradeSmart revolution by getting your own pair of top of the line gun shooting ear protection muffs and gun range eye protection. TradeSmart gear fits men, women, adults & teens with its flexible design, and the very best in shooter tech: ANSI & TradeSmart certified NRR 28 earmuffs for shooting range and eye protection for gun range.
- MIGHTY NRR 38 COMBO: Get extra noise-reduction when you combine your NRR 28 range ear protection muffs with your NRR 33 shooting ear plugs. Together, they provide a staggering NRR 38 decibel defense combo. With TradeSmart, you have options, and we cover those options with a 10-year warranty plan.
- z87.1 SAFETY GLASSES: Our eye protection for shooting glasses a steel ball going 150mph! And unlike others, ours come with thin, flat arms. You get the perfect noise seal from our shooting ear muffs, and avoid all the pain and discomfort that often comes from uncertified gear that digs into your temples! TradeSmart safety glasses for shooting range also feature both anti-scratch & anti-fogging features, and UV 400-rated protection!
- WHAT YOU GET: 1x NRR 28 range headphones, 1x clear shooting glasses for women, 1x tinted shooting glasses for women, 1x microfiber pouch per pair of gun range glasses, 5x pairs of NRR 33 ear plugs, and 1x hard carrying case that fits ear muffs for shooting range and two pairs of womens shooting glasses. Microfiber pouch material cleans lenses without damaging the anti-fog coating!
- THE CHERRY ON TOP: All our products carry a 10-year easy-claim warranty. Wear TradeSmart gun range ear protection and other shooting accessories with confidence, knowing that we’ll be around for 10 years to service your gear if necessary. We also believe in “give and get”, so we redirect a percentage of our profits to Children’s Charity. Your purchase today will directly help underprivileged kids! 🙂
To protect your child’s ears from noise, this product is a great choice. Not only does the colorful design appeal to children but the padding provides them with the upmost comfort, allowing them to wear for long periods of time.
- Effective – these help to block out unwanted noise.
- Trusted brand – this is a trusted brand guaranteed to provide the best protection.
- Convenient – the earmuffs fold up for convenient and easy storage.
- Small – these are small in size so are not suitable for all.
- Helps protect your kids' hearing, so you can enjoy loud outdoor activities together
- Creates a quiet environment for studying, reading or relaxing in shared indoor spaces
- Premium hearing protection from a trusted brand in professional safety
- 22 dB NRR (Noise Reduction Rating)/ANSI S3.19-1974 Certified
- Padded ear cushions conform around the ears for long-lasting comfort
Every shooter needs foam earplugs. These provide that added extra protection by working to prevent unwanted sound. Simply place the soft foam into the ear; you can even choose to place earmuffs over the earplugs.
- Versatile – these are good for all ear sizes, small or large.
- Long lasting – this pack comes with 200 earplug pairs.
- Will not get lost – because of its bright vibrant color (neon yellow and pink) these earplugs will not get lost; they are very easy to notice.
- Too soft – the earplugs can be too soft which makes it harder for them to sit in the ear.
- LASER LITE HI-VIS COLORS: Vibrant yellow & magenta color is highly visible from a distance to help ensure employee compliance and hearing safety; it also helps prevent loss or misplacement
- EXCELLENT NOISE REDUCTION (NRR 32): Self-Adjusting foam earplugs expand in the ear upon insertion to create a secure seal for excellent hearing protection in loud workplaces and jobsites
- IDEAL FOR SMALLER & LARGER EARS: Small size of earplug delivers optimal fit and ear protection for smaller ears, but low pressure foam expands to fit virtually any size ear and ear canal
- COMFORT & HYGIENE: Contoured T-shape allows for easy insertion and removal; Smooth, soil-resistant, closed-cell foam skin helps prevent dirt build-up; 200 pairs of earplugs per box
- RECOMMENDED INDUSTRIES: farming, chemical, construction, law enforcement, manufacturing, military, mining, municipal, oil & gas, pharmaceutical, steel, metal, transportation
This is a product for those looking for an affordable pair of earmuffs with great quality. The headband is adjustable to adjust to all head shapes and sizes and it is made to provide excellent results.
- Design – the earmuffs are slim and have the ability to fold making it easy to transport.
- Lightweight – these are not heavy to wear.
- Sufficient sound suppression – works well at suppressing sound.
- Not practical – it can be difficult to hear conversations well and there is static.
Now we have run through all of our favorite ear protections for shooting, we have put together this helpful buyer’s guide.
With this buyer’s guide, you will be able to narrow down your search. With ear protection comes features that need to be looked out for – once these are clarified only then can you choose the right ones for you.
Below, we have come up with a list of qualities and features all ear protectors need. This list will help you on your search before purchasing the ideal one for you.
Out shooting you want to be comfortable, so it is important to be supplied with ear protection that will guarantee that.
There are plenty of earmuffs and earplugs coming in all different shapes and sizes, but you want to make sure that they fit on you well.
Particularly for wearers of glasses is there an issue with earmuffs causing pain and discomfort; choose earmuffs which will not do this.
Furthermore, it is necessary to choose muffs with fitted padding. This padding provides a softness around the ear and makes for a comfortable wear.
More and more are parents encouraging their kids to learn the ropes when it comes to shooting so with this in mind it is important to pick ear protection that is kid friendly.
Children naturally have ears needed to be protected, so it should be that you pick a product with maximum protective qualities.
Kids’ ear protectors are designed differently to an adult’s – they offer substantial protection, fit the head and ears better and are covered with child friendly designs.
Make sure that your child is safe when shooting by purchasing a product of the highest quality.
Indoor And Outdoor Use
There is a misconception (particularly with new shooters) that all ear protectors work the same however that is not the case.
There are some that work better for outdoor use than indoor use or better for indoor than outdoor.
Make sure that you know what environment you will be using it before picking out your desired gear as it may not be an effective purchase.
If you do, however, happen to purchase a product which does not work well, you are always able to double up on ear protection by wearing earplugs as well as earmuffs.
The purpose of ear protectors is to provide better sound quality and to protect the ears from damage.
Shooting is a loud and vibrant sport and to shoot with any means of ear protection can lead to bad hearing or tinnitus.
As well as this, the shooting earmuffs make it so that your surroundings are silenced for better concentration but you are still able to communicate with others due to an electrical component.
In order for your gear to last long, it is important to find something with great quality of sound.
When searching, see if you can find something with additional features such as earmuffs with earplugs, eye gear and a case.
Having these items all in one means that you have in your essentials in one place and makes better value for money. This is especially good for first time shooters as they will be less likely to forget any valuable assets.
Value For Money
Ear protection can be pricy. You will find them coming in as cheap as $40 and as expensive $120.
When choosing yours, make sure that you are choosing something affordable yet durable. Make sure you are looking for something worth the price.
It is easy to get lost in a product’s appearance and gold stars on Amazon but the decision you make is down to your needs and preference. Are you getting what you need for a reasonable price?
Frequently Asked Questions
What Can Happen If You Don’t Wear Ear Protection While Shooting?
It is very important to wear a form of ear protection (earmuffs, earplugs) whilst shooting. If not, there is a high risk of damage.
If a person chooses not to wear any form of ear protection then they are at risk of hearing loss (short term and long term), tinnitus and ear pain.
What Other Protection Does A Shooter Need?
Ears are not the only thing a shooter needs to protect. Shooting is a dangerous sport which needs the ultimate amount of protection, so it is important to protect other areas of the body including the eyes.
As well as earplugs, eye glasses are essential to wear in order to protect the eyes from potential damage.
Are Foam Earplugs Enough For Shooting?
Earplugs can be worn on their own however only if it is of good quality and used in an appropriate setting.
You cannot go to any hardware store and retrieve the first earplugs you see as they are not guaranteed to hold the properties to keep your ears safe.
As well as this, environment is an important factor too. When shooting indoors, earplugs are not enough. It would be best to use electric earmuffs.
Earmuffs Or Earplugs? Which Is better?
Earmuffs and earplugs both have their pros and cons, so there is not a straight forward answer.
Whilst earmuffs provide its user with comfort and convenience, earplugs fit securely in the ear and work to cancel out unnecessary sounds just as well as the muffs.
With this being said, one is not better than the other; it is entirely down to preference. However, before choosing, make sure to plan where you will be shooting; earmuffs are more suitable for indoor use.
Are Kids Allowed To Go Shooting?
Yes, children are allowed to shoot at shooting ranges with an adult present (parent or instructor).
It is essential for someone to be by the child’s side at all times in order to make it safe for them and others and allow to child to maintain control of the weapon.
With this being said, however, there is plenty of debate saying children should not be allowed to partake in shooting even with an experienced adult around.
It is easy for an accident to happen and with a heavy gun it can be difficult for a child to keep it steady. However, the decision is in the hands of the shooting range, the parent, and the child.
Shooting is for everyone no matter how experienced you are, your age, or your reasonings for taking part.
You may be interested in joining the force and want some practice, perhaps you want to blow off some steam, or maybe you just enjoy the rush of firing a gun. Whatever the reason, it is most important to keep yourself protected.
The main areas of concern are the eyes and the ears – you can use ear protectors and protective glasses to ensure their safety.
Above, we have compiled a list of the best ear protection for shooters, listing the pros and cons and helping you in your search.
With these list of items, you are provided with different options including earmuffs, earplugs, foam earplugs, earmuffs for children and there are plenty more to choose from.
Each item was handpicked by us especially as these are the ones with the best reviews and the best results, guaranteeing a safe experience.
As well as this, we had also put together a buyer’s guide. A buyer’s guide is used to help those with their purchases, picking out significant qualities and features which needed to be considered.
For example, it is important to recognize the sound quality, the level of comfort it provides, and the affordability.
Once this has been sorted, you will be on your way to choosing the best product for you, made to last long and guarantee you (or you child) the upmost safety.